All after-school clubs and activities will be cancelled this upcoming Monday, March 16. This would include Chorus, Rocketry Club, and TAP. TAP will still be held on Tuesday and Thursday.
Three students are selected each year to have their art work displayed among other SD54 art students at the Prairie Arts Center in Schaumburg for the month of March. Miss Ryan looks for students who go above and beyond, display excellent craftsmanship and whose artistic talent shines. Congratulations to Kaylee K, Stephanie B and Karan K. Their work will be displayed for the month of March at the Prairie Arts Center.
Get your brackets ready to go! Art Madness 2015 has started here at Fairview Elementary School. Students 1st-6th grade are participating in this art vs. art challenge in class with Miss Ryan. Starting the week of February 16th students picked which art work they think will continue on all the way to the finals. The following week students begun to vote during art class for their favorite art work or work that they think will make it to the end. Each week after the votes are tallied, Miss Ryan will reveal the results on the bulletin board outside the art room. Which art work will move on? Which art work will succeed? Will your bracket be correct? Let Art Madness 2015 begin!
Schaumburg Parent University (SPU) is designed to involve more parents in the life of the school, to strengthen family relationships, and to improve parenting skills that will ultimately result in improved student success academically, socially and emotionally. We will host one evening program for parents in March: School Related Anxiety at 5:30 p.m. March 12 at the District 54 Professional Learning Center, 522 E. Schaumburg Road in Schaumburg.
District 54 social worker Tricia Johnson will assist parents in understanding the difference between common stress and anxiety disorders and will provide helpful strategies to help children manage stress.
If you are interested in attending this event, please see the link below with more information. Childcare will be available. For more information about Schaumburg Parent University and to register, visit our website at http://sd54.org/spu.
Click the following link for more information about the Schaumburg Parent University event: Schaumburg Parent University presents School-Related Anxiety – March 12
What did you do on your summer vacation? Your answer could be: “I built and programed a robot, learned the principles of flight through rocket construction, or used a 3-D printer to design my own car or jewelry.” With the goal of bringing science, technology, engineering and math (STEM) alive through authentic hands-on activities, District 54’s Summer STEM Academy creates experiences that expands on the interests of students.
The District 54 Summer STEM Academy offers:
- A range of fun camps for a variety of interests for students in 1st through 8th grade
- Courses with hands-on, project-based curricula
- STEM Certificate of Achievement recognizing the achievements of students
- Instruction by District 54 teachers, experienced with STEM, in a positive environment
- An opportunity to conduct experiments using tools, equipment and technology used within the real-world
Registration for the Summer STEM Academy is $40.00 per student, checks/ money orders are to be made payable to Schaumburg School District 54, which includes a camp t-shirt. Registration opens on Monday, March 2nd and closes on Friday, March 20th. Information and registration forms have been mailed to your home address – payment for the Summer STEM Academy with the registration form is mailed to the Department of Student Learning (524 E. Schaumburg Rd., Schaumburg, IL 60194).
Registration for 2015 Summer Band and Orchestra program has begun! District 54 students who have completed fifth, sixth, or seventh grade and have had lessons on their instrument for at least one school year are eligible to enroll.
Summer Band and Orchestra will take place July 6-23 (Mondays-Thursdays) at Keller Jr High.
Registration forms are available from any instrumental music teacher or at http://sd54.org/music/instrumental/summerprogram.
If you have questions, please contact the band/orchestra teacher at your school or call 847-357-5138.
District #54 Instrumental Music Staff
All District 54 schools will be closed tomorrow, Thursday, Feb. 19, 2015. The National Weather Service has issue a wind chill advisory until noon Thursday, which calls for wind chill values as low as -26.
Our number one priority every day is keeping children safe. We have about 8,000 students who ride a bus. The other 6,500 students either walk or get a ride to school. We cannot assume that all students can get a ride to school on a cold weather day. We also can’t assume that all children will be dressed appropriately for this weather. Thank you for your understanding and support.
All after-school and evening activities at schools on Feb. 19 are canceled as well. The Rafferty Administration Center will be open and the School Board meeting scheduled for 7 p.m. Feb. 19 will be held.
The District 54 Choral Festival scheduled for 7 p.m. Wednesday, Feb. 18, will still occur. The event is located at Frost Junior High School.
The Hoffman Estates Park District, Schaumburg Park District and YMCA have announced that they will be offering child care for elementary school students when schools close for cold weather days. For more information, visit the websites below.
- The Campanelli YMCA will offer a drop-in program for any child in kindergarten through sixth grade at its facility at 300 W. Wise Road in Schaumburg. The cost is $38 per child. Children will be engaged in active games and activities throughout the day and will have the opportunity to use the gym and the pool. Please send your child with a lunch and a drink. Register at drop off or reserve your spot today. Visit http://www.campanelliymca.org for more information.
- The Schaumburg Park District will offer care at the Community Recreation Center, 505 N. Springinsguth Road. The program is available only to children currently registered in the KASPER or Kapers program and is offered from 7 a.m. to 6 p.m. Children will enjoy crafts, games, gym activities, swimming and an afternoon snack. Please send a labeled swim suit, towel and sack lunch (reminder, we are peanut free). The cost is $38/child. Fees will be collected at the time of sign in at the CRC. Visit www.parkfun.comfor more information.
- The Hoffman Estates Park District will offer child care for students in kindergarten through sixth grade from 7 a.m. to 6 p.m. at the Triphahn Center, 1685 W. Higgins Road. Students will take a field trip to Poplar Creek Bowl. The cost is $38 per child. Registration is available online using code #156415 (click here) or at the Triphahn Center Ice Arena service desk in the morning. You MUST show proof of registration if you registered online. Breakfast will not be served and children must bring a sack lunch and drink. Please contact Jessica at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions. Open to residents and non-residents.
Current Fairview Parent Response Rate: 6% Goal: 20%
As a way to continuously improve, District 54 has chosen to provide the optional 5Essentials parent survey. The parent survey is only 26 questions and the state estimates you can complete it in 10 minutes. The survey is available in English and Spanish. If you have more than one child at a school, you should complete only one survey for that school. In addition, only one parent or guardian per household may participate in the survey. Parents with children enrolled in multiple schools may take the survey for each school. Schools are listed alphabetically by their full names. If at least 20 percent of our parents complete this survey, a parent supplement will be generated. The parent data will not be reported on the State Report Card.
To take the parent survey, please visit https://survey.5-essentials.org/Illinois/ between January 12 and March 13, 2015.
The Your Reproductive System informational parent meeting scheduled on Monday, February 2nd (canceled due to inclement weather) has been rescheduled for Tuesday, February 24th. This is an opportunity for parents to preview the content and materials presented to 6th grade students. The presentation is scheduled from 7:00 p.m. to 8:30 p.m., and will be held at the Rafferty Administration Center, in the Professional Learning Center (522 E. Schaumburg Rd., Schaumburg, IL 60194).